A friendly community close to the city
Ruakaka has a growing community of 7,000 permanent residents, swelling up to 12,000 in summer.
There is a diverse variety of community groups and volunteer groups including the fire brigade, St Johns and surf lifesavers. The Ruakaka Surf Lifesaving have clubrooms on the beach and membership for all ages.
Ruakaka Recreation Centre includes a gym, squash courts, library with community meeting room and creche are all centrally located adjacent to the Ruakaka Town Centre.
The sports fields around the recreation centre are the home ground for Ruakaka’s many touch rugby and soccer teams including Bream Bay United Football Club.
Public Toilets are located on Peter Snell Rd close to the intersection with Marsden Pt Rd, outside the kindergarten and Ruakaka Town Centre, opposite the entrance to Bream Bay College. Ruakaka Beach and Marsden Bay also have public toilets.
- Tiki Place Reserve, where they may be off leash but under control.
- Ruakaka Beach Dog Exercise Area
- Uretiti Beach Dog Exercise Area
Ruakaka is the centre of education for the South Whangarei district, offering schools at all levels including preschool, three conveniently handy primary schools and the secondary college.
- Ruakaka Creche for preschoolers up to age 5
- Ruakaka Kindergarten for preschoolers up to age 5
- Ruakaka School for years 1 to 6
- One Tree Point School for years 1 to 6
- Waipu Primary for years 1 to 6
- Bream Bay College, the only intermediate and secondary school south of Whangarei, serving Ruakaka, One Tree Point, Takahiwai, Mata and Waipu districts, years 7 to 13
- Ruakaka Community Hub which incorporates an expanded library, meeting rooms and enhanced Council Service Centre has been built by Whangarei District Council within the Ruakaka Town Centre block
Other Websites of Interest: